SDG&E Station F
San Diego, CA
SDG&E’s Station F was constructed in 1926. The two-story Spanish style power distribution station features many decorative elements including two cast stone busts of Thomas Edison and Benjamin Franklin on the front façade. Heritage Architecture & Planning prepared construction documents and provided construction observation services for the exterior restoration of the building.
The scope of the exterior rehabilitation work included restoration of integrally-colored plaster, cast-stone ornamentation, steel sash windows, historic metal doors, decorative wrought-iron elements. Missing historic elements such as decorative wrought-iron features and wood doors were replicated. In addition to the building restoration work, various site improvements were completed, including the installation of new exterior lighting, landscaping, paving, and fencing. All work was completed in accordance with The Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties.
The completed project not only restored and protected an important historical resource, it visually enhances the North Park neighborhood and it shows that even utilitarian structures can add to a community’s architectural character.
- San Diego Gas & Electric
- Construction Documents
- Construction Observation
- ♢City of San Diego Historical Resources Board Preservation Award
- ♢Save Our Heritage Organisations People in Preservation Award