Old Police Headquarters
San Diego, CA
The Old San Diego Police Headquarters was completed in 1939 using Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds. The 100,000 SF building was designed by noted San Diego architects Charles and Edward Quayle with Alberto O. Tregaza. Heritage was initially contracted by the San Diego Unified Port District to prepare an Adaptive Reuse and a Feasibility Study. Heritage advised the Port District regarding the best way to remodel the headquarters while incorporating new uses along with space for a public park.
Later, Heritage was hired by leaseholder Terramar to provide historic preservation consulting services for the $40 million rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of the headquarters. Working with Carrier Johnson and Fehlman-LaBarre Architects, Heritage helped to incorporate new retail and restaurant uses while complying with The Secretary of the Interior’s Standards. The completed project includes an interpretive museum with eight preserved jail cells. Heritage also completed a Federal Tax Incentive application for the National Register-listed site.
Photography: Mike Newton
- San Diego Unified Port District and Terramar
- Adaptive Reuse Feasibility Study
- Preservation Consulting
- Construction Documents
- Federal Tax Incentives Application
- ♢City of San Diego Historical Resources Board Preservation Award
- ♢San Diego AIA Award
- ♢Save Our Heritage Organizations People in Preservation Award