El Presidio de Santa Barbara
El Presidio de Santa Barbara State Historic Park, CA
El Presidio de Santa Barbara was founded in 1782 and was the last in a chain of four military fortresses built by the Spanish along the coast of Alta California, then a wilderness frontier. Today, only two sections of the original Presidio quadrangle remain. Heritage Architecture & Planning worked closely with the Santa Barbara Trust for Historic Preservation in reconstructing the northeast and northwest corners of the Presidio while retaining the original stone foundations and archaeological fabric. We also assisted in the restoration of El Cuartel at the Presidio and construction of public restrooms. In 2003, the Trust received federal funds for portions of the northwest corner project and we prepared Section 106 documents to ensure the protection of historic and cultural resources.
- Santa Barbara Trust of Historic Preservation
- Architectural Services
- Section 106