Western Metal BuildingGo Back
San Diego, California
The Western Metal Supply Company was instrumental in supplying metal goods for the Southern California region. Their landmark warehouse, designed in 1909 by respected architect Henry Lord Gay, was given a prominent spot within the design of the ballpark’s seating bowl. The four-story brick and heavy timber structure, with a total floor area of 51,400 square feet, was converted into the Padres Team Store, a restaurant, several party suites, a rooftop bar with bleacher seating, and cantilevered balconies hanging over left field. The building’s southeast corner became the left field foul pole.
Heritage served as the preservation architect for the rehabilitation of the Western Metal Supply Company building, providing Construction Documents and Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) documentation.