Showley Bros. Candy FactoryGo Back
San Diego, California
Guy Showley and his brother, Jesse Ray, erected this structure for their wholesale confectionery business in 1924. The Showley Brothers continued operation in this factory through the 1950s. Later uses included office space with artist’s lofts on both the second and third floors. In 1982, the building was listed as San Diego Historic Site number 162.
In 1999, the Padres baseball club entered into a Settlement Agreement between the City of San Diego, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and Save Our Heritage Organisation. A Treatment Plan was developed for the retention of buildings located within the Petco Park development area. The plan called for the relocation of the Showley Brothers Candy Factory building one block east of its original site. Heritage Architecture & Planning provided preservation architectural services for the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) Level 3 documentation of the building and also served as lead architect for the stabilization and relocation of the three million pound unreinforced masonry (URM) building to its new location at the northeast corner of 9th Avenue and K Street. Heritage later provided preservation consulting for seismic stabilization, restoration, and tenant improvements which were completed in 2008.